If you travel to Mexico often, or would like to, you would have to be “loco” to pass up the US Bank AeroMexico Visa Signature credit card. Just for using the card, either paying the annual fee or making just one purchase, you get 20,000 bonus miles. That’s enough for a one way ticket from the U.S. to Mexico. You also get a Companion Ticket, good for one free companion flight for the next 12 months. It’s only valid for round-trip travel from U.S. to Mexico on AeroMexico only, not partners, and requires M/B/Y class of service. So, not a super offer as far as sign-up bonuses go, but very easy to get.
You also receive a complimentary one-day pass to their airport lounge. The pass is only good for Club Premier Lounge in Mexico, where you will have to present both the pass and the credit card in order to get in. Interestingly, it allows for up to two guests Sunday through Wednesday, but only one guest Thursday through Saturday.
There’s some other nice little perks too. You will enjoy a 15% discount off all AeroMexico airfare purchases. If you spend $30,000 or more in 12 months, you get 5,000 Club Premier Elite Qualification miles. And every year after you renew, you receive 4,000 bonus miles and a $99 Companion Ticket, essentially paying for the annual fee (which is waived the first year).
The US Bank AeroMexico card has a rewards earning scheme that is noteworthy, as well. There’s the typical 1 mile per dollar spent on every purchase and double miles on AeroMexico purchases. And then there’s also double miles on gas and groceries. It’s refreshing to see an airline card offering bonus miles for everyday categories rather than just the airline purchases.
Note that these miles transfer to 19 SkyTeam member airlines, including Delta. All in all, not a bad deal. Check out our guide to the details below.
- Annual Fee: $80, waived for the first year
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2% for US dollars, 3% for foreign currency
- APR: var 12.99%-19.99%
- APR for Balance Transfers: var 12.99%-19.99%
- Balance Transfer Fee: 3%
- APR for Cash Advance: var 23.99%
- Cash Advance Fee: 4%
- Late Fee/Returned Payment Fee: up to $35
- Over Credit Limit Fee: $0
- Bonus: 20,000 miles after paying annual fee or making first purchase, plus Complimentary Companion Ticket
- 2 miles per $1 spent on AeroMexico airfare purchases
- 2 miles per $1 spent on gas and groceries
- 1 mile per $1 spent on every purchase
- Miles Worth: 1 mile = about 1 cent, significantly below average
- Rewards Limit: None
- Rewards Expiration: None with activity
- Redeem Rewards For: award flights with AeroMexico or partners
- Get 15% discount on AeroMexico airfare purchases
- Get 4,000 bonus miles every year after renewal
- Get $99 Companion Ticket every year after renewal
- Complimentary Salon Premier Lounge one day pass
- Receive 5,000 Club Premier Qualification miles after spending $30,000 in 12 months
- $0 Fraud Liability Protection
- Purchase Protection: Yes
- Travel Insurance: Yes
- Auto Rental Insurance: Yes
- Extended Warranty: Yes
- Customer Service: 24/7 concierge
So basically, this card gives you, right off the bat, a one-way ticket and companion pass to Mexico. That means that it’s a great card to get if you and your honey are looking for a fiesta down south. All you will have to pay for is half of your round-trip ticket. And the both of you will get to enjoy the airport lounge as well.
Don’t forget to check out our list of the best travel credit cards and best rewards credit cards.